Sound

First time to the Boogie? Ask your questions here.
mlpblues42

Sound

Post by mlpblues42 »

Music amazing!! Camping what a blast!! People at this festival are completely awesome, look forward to spending next year with 6000 of my closest friends!!
This was year 2, my only issue was with the sound. Last year was our first and it seemed like anywhere you went on the grounds you could hear the music. This year seemed like you had to be by band stand or you couldn't hear it. Hope the community allows you all to turn it up next year!!!
This is our yearly event and started looking forward to 2018 when it ended on Sunday! Would like to thank the Benton's for such a great event and a chance to enjoy a week were the only worry is band stand or river!! You have a great event and looking forward to enjoying them, we are lifer's!!!
briansullivan
Site Admin

Re: Sound

Post by briansullivan »

I have to totally agree with you.

As you may know, I am everywhere, photographing the Boogie and talking to some of the world's finest people.
I heard many time at the shows, and afterwards about the sound being very poor. Mainly vocals.

Having talked to quite a few, and having the only argument you'll hear at the Bogie (Who's the best act), I thought personally Jonny Lang was amazing, a bit better than Kenny Wayne.
Many disagreed but when I talked to them, they couldn't hear him sing! Well no wonder they thought his show was disappointing.
His singing was awesome, especially on his acoustic encore of Lie To Me. Brought tears to my, and many other eyes in the front rows.
From what I can tell, there was a sweet spot but those to the sides, and on the hill suffered the most.

While I am on it, I really did not like a lot of the lighting. Many times at night you could not see the band or certain members.
The back line guy said to me it's theatrical and the current trend.
Current trend maybe, but after 4 decades of professionally lighting products for photography, NOT SEEING THE BAND (product) is not the way to go.
Especially for this genre and demographics. We want to see them!
Then there were the yellow green lights shooting out onto the audience.
Yah, being blinded is wicked cool. Being the photographer by the stage, I was getting blinded, flashed, and had pain in my right eye for a few days afterwards.

Others have agreed on this point.

Yah, Lighting and Sound should go back to the previous group.

OK, enough rahda, rahda, rahda.
Back to editing photos.
If you don't have time to Boogie...
then you must be having the Blues!

Get your Boogie photos printed at;
https://www.archival-photos.com/
mkmck
Boogie Freak
Boogie Freak

Post by mkmck »

Totally agree with you Brian regarding the sound and...to me...especially the lighting. All the observations about the lights are spot-on, but you forgot one thing - that fancy new light setup came at the cost of the iconic Boogie backdrop, which had to be sacrificed to get those fancy new lights up. The lights that took up the banner's space were the same ones blasting the audience in the face, and making it near-impossible to see the band. I can only imagine what it must have been like trying to take pics while getting blasted with those lights...close up and magnified by your camera's lense. You (and your fellow photogs) abuse yourself enough as it is getting the great pics you do, you certainly don't need that!

I'm with you...go back to the prior setup, it was perfect. I REALLY do appreciate that Brad and Mike are always trying to make the Boogie better, and most of the time they hit a home run...but IMO this one was a dribbler back to the pitcher. Please tell the back line guy that if we want theater, we'll go to the theater. This is the Boogie, and we want to see (and hear) the band!!

...and thanks again for all you do!
briansullivan
Site Admin

Post by briansullivan »

Thanks mate, we appreciate it.
BTW, the camping shots are going up for review today.
And you won't find a shot like the one below.
darn lights made me blind
darn lights made me blind
SWD_1536.jpg (17.81 KiB) Viewed 14313 times
and yes, no banner very bad.
If you don't have time to Boogie...
then you must be having the Blues!

Get your Boogie photos printed at;
https://www.archival-photos.com/
Inspectorjoe

Post by Inspectorjoe »

Thanks for approving me, Brian.

2017 was my first Boogie, but definitely not my last. I couldn't agree more about the sound and lighting. In the first row, the sound was great - walking around the amphitheater, it was pretty uneven. The lighting after dark was frustrating, to say the least. It's like it was competing with the performers for attention - and in some ways winning. Here's Jonny Lang from the first row:
https://youtu.be/ajxckfCE7fU

Here's an example of what I consider good lighting. The main performers are well-lit, with steady, true-to-color lighting. The background changes for visual interest. There are NO lights blinding the audience. I shot it at the Blast Furnace Blues Festival in Bethlehem, PA. On a side note, I'm esctatic that Sugaray Rayford will be performing at the BFBF this year, Saturday night, just before the Fabulous Thunderbirds. Woohoo!
https://youtu.be/zWvER0D2w2Q
mkmck
Boogie Freak
Boogie Freak

Post by mkmck »

MUCH better this year! The lights were not too intrusive, and the banner was back! The sound also seemed great from everywhere, at least as far as I could tell. Great job guys...sometimes it is better to just leave well enough alone, especially when it was perfect the way you had it!

...and thanks again Brian, my birthday brother :)