Yes 32%  32%  [ 7 ]
No 18%  18%  [ 4 ]
I hate it 50%  50%  [ 11 ]
Not sure 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 22
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:48 am 
Site Admin

My 1.8 cents...

I see both sides here, and being upfront by the stage photographing all day and night, I got to observe some things.

The area was not too large, smaller than I thought.
    I can appreciate an area for people who can not stand for long (My father had polio, so, I know)
    It did bother me that quite a bit of time, people in the area looked like they were falling asleep. In fact, some did. I recall one of the security folks making comments that he just could not believe that.
    I noticed on Saturday, the left side of the stage (from the fans view) got overtaken with chairs, thus shrinking the "Boogie Area" to only the right side. Bummer. I think both sides should be chair free for X feet back.

WHile I have seen suggestions to move them up to the tent, and rasing the stage, I am not too positive on both of those. But, if I may offer another, affordable solution, create a Boogie pit in front and move the seating X feet back.

It wouldn't be too much to dig out a lower section in front, say maybe only 3-4 feet down, like an ochrestra pit, where it's standing only. That way, one would not obstruct the view from anybody (at least no more than if they were sitting), yet, the spirit of boogying would still be there and they would still have a good view.

From one who likes to Dance like a Fool.
Not sure how many more years I can do it, but as long as "My Feet Don't Fail Me Now" I like to Boogie.

Brian

http://www.sullivanandwolf.com/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:16 am 

:idea: Ohhhh Brian I LOVE your 'orchestra pit' idea! 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:34 pm 

Just had to reply once again after this year's fest. We agree wholeheartedly with Brian's post. The left side of paid chairs were taken up with even more chairs -- effectively limiting everyone's Boogie space to the area on right. It's hard to take a picture or see the band if someone is standing directly in front of you (or if you're short).
A "Boogie Pit" is one SUPERB idea!!! The sitters could still look over the heads of the Boogiers, while remaining centrally located a few feet back.
Designating a 'starting line' where chairs can be set up on either side is a good idea too. After all, the Boogie has grown tremendously over the last few years.
As predicted earlier, more than half (actually, about 2/3) of those chairs were empty on Sunday. Rain or hangovers....maybe you might want to consider selling Saturday & Sunday seats separately?

All in all, THANK YOU ALL for a most COLORFUL, MUSIC-FILLED, FANTASTIC WEEKEND! As always -- it was G-R-R-R-R-R-R-E-A-T !!! Stay healthy & safe .. and we'll see you again next year.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:26 pm 

Sorry ... thought I was done, but just a thought. Afraid that a Boogie Pit might end up being a "Puddle Pit"--and taking into consideration that wonderful, but possibly dangerous hill, you may want to consider this from an environmental / architectural standpoint.

One idea would be to set up 'bleacher-style' seating on the hill.... or,
create graduating, leveled, rows or tiers using landscaping walls or retaining ties. Personally, we'd love to set up (and would pay extra) for our own "press-box" style square on one of these rows.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:27 pm 

Once again this year, I really disliked the preferred seating area. Also, as others have said, the dancing area was even more restricted as people brought their chairs up alongside this area all the way to the front. This is a "Boogie" right so how about giving people space to do that near the stage? One year (2006?) I remember the stage having an extension out into the crowd so a performer could come right out amongst us and play. That was a rush. This year a person I know bought the reserved seating and she spent more time up at the top of the hill with us where she had lots more fun. I also noticed people snoozing in those reserved seats. Get rid of them!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:42 pm 

I very much liked the preferred seating!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:59 am 

I must admit that this year, I was unhappy that too many people brought their seats right up alongside the preferred seating. There was very little amount of space up front to boogie. And what happened to the vendors? There were quite a few missing this year!