Do you like the new preferred seating?

We're always looking to make the Boogie better. Let us know your thoughts and ideas, and, we'll see.

Do you like the new preferred seating?

Yes
38%
No
17%
I hate it
46%
Not sure
No votes

Total votes: 24

briansullivan
Site Admin

Re: Do you like the new preferred seating?

Post by briansullivan »

My 1.8 cents...

I see both sides here, and being upfront by the stage photographing all day and night, I got to observe some things.
  • The area was not too large, smaller than I thought.
    I can appreciate an area for people who can not stand for long (My father had polio, so, I know)
    It did bother me that quite a bit of time, people in the area looked like they were falling asleep. In fact, some did. I recall one of the security folks making comments that he just could not believe that.
    I noticed on Saturday, the left side of the stage (from the fans view) got overtaken with chairs, thus shrinking the "Boogie Area" to only the right side. Bummer. I think both sides should be chair free for X feet back.
WHile I have seen suggestions to move them up to the tent, and rasing the stage, I am not too positive on both of those. But, if I may offer another, affordable solution, create a Boogie pit in front and move the seating X feet back.

It wouldn't be too much to dig out a lower section in front, say maybe only 3-4 feet down, like an ochrestra pit, where it's standing only. That way, one would not obstruct the view from anybody (at least no more than if they were sitting), yet, the spirit of boogying would still be there and they would still have a good view.

From one who likes to Dance like a Fool.
Not sure how many more years I can do it, but as long as "My Feet Don't Fail Me Now" I like to Boogie.

Brian
If you don't have time to Boogie...
then you must be having the Blues!

Get your Boogie photos printed at;
https://www.archival-photos.com/
Hollyhawk

Post by Hollyhawk »

:idea: Ohhhh Brian I LOVE your 'orchestra pit' idea! 8-)
Cathi*n*Joe

Post by Cathi*n*Joe »

Just had to reply once again after this year's fest. We agree wholeheartedly with Brian's post. The left side of paid chairs were taken up with even more chairs -- effectively limiting everyone's Boogie space to the area on right. It's hard to take a picture or see the band if someone is standing directly in front of you (or if you're short).
A "Boogie Pit" is one SUPERB idea!!! The sitters could still look over the heads of the Boogiers, while remaining centrally located a few feet back.
Designating a 'starting line' where chairs can be set up on either side is a good idea too. After all, the Boogie has grown tremendously over the last few years.
As predicted earlier, more than half (actually, about 2/3) of those chairs were empty on Sunday. Rain or hangovers....maybe you might want to consider selling Saturday & Sunday seats separately?

All in all, THANK YOU ALL for a most COLORFUL, MUSIC-FILLED, FANTASTIC WEEKEND! As always -- it was G-R-R-R-R-R-R-E-A-T !!! Stay healthy & safe .. and we'll see you again next year.
Cathi*n*Joe

Post by Cathi*n*Joe »

Sorry ... thought I was done, but just a thought. Afraid that a Boogie Pit might end up being a "Puddle Pit"--and taking into consideration that wonderful, but possibly dangerous hill, you may want to consider this from an environmental / architectural standpoint.

One idea would be to set up 'bleacher-style' seating on the hill.... or,
create graduating, leveled, rows or tiers using landscaping walls or retaining ties. Personally, we'd love to set up (and would pay extra) for our own "press-box" style square on one of these rows.
brie

Post by brie »

Once again this year, I really disliked the preferred seating area. Also, as others have said, the dancing area was even more restricted as people brought their chairs up alongside this area all the way to the front. This is a "Boogie" right so how about giving people space to do that near the stage? One year (2006?) I remember the stage having an extension out into the crowd so a performer could come right out amongst us and play. That was a rush. This year a person I know bought the reserved seating and she spent more time up at the top of the hill with us where she had lots more fun. I also noticed people snoozing in those reserved seats. Get rid of them!
Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

I very much liked the preferred seating!!
Cathi*n*Joe

Post by Cathi*n*Joe »

I must admit that this year, I was unhappy that too many people brought their seats right up alongside the preferred seating. There was very little amount of space up front to boogie. And what happened to the vendors? There were quite a few missing this year!
dano73

Post by dano73 »

Ok I see this is an old thread, but maybe someone will see it. Our 1st boogie this year, field camped, great people , great times, and as far as venues go, this is about as good as it gets. We're fortunate to have been able to travel the northeast the past few summers and enjoy hitting the many festivals. We travel by RV, and if there's no camping we don't go. The lineup wasn't stellar this year, but we planned on going anyway. It was more than we expected, just the setting, on the river alone..WOW!!! The police presence not too bad, BYOB, another great feature, just the affordability of theses venues are incredible, easy in and out of the venue and the property,if u need to get somewhere. The only complaint we had was the reserved seating. We make it a point to stay away from those venues, cause we really enjoy being front and center and Boogeying!!! I see the performers feeding off the people dancing in front, If I want to sit and watch, I'll wait till the winter and go to a concert hall. Thats not to say there isn't room for reserved seating, move it back in front of the sound board, the sound is better there anyway!!! And it's ok to draw a line to keep all chairs behind, most people already get that, but just for the few that don't.
Cathi*n*Joe

Post by Cathi*n*Joe »

Once again coming back ... hard to believe it was 2012 for my last post! Anyway, what we started years ago now, and still do ... we bring along our resin chairs with the back legs sawed down and sit right in the middle of the hill. It's awesome because no one can stand in your way. Of course we still end up in front of the stage as much as we can to boogie, but I'm short and I always get that tall dude in front of me. Anyway, I must say that in these past ten years of attending the Boogie, it has grown dramatically and its kind of lost that 'personal touch' that it once had ... which is understandable. Thank you Brad & all.... you've been part of our lives for quite a while now. The pictures & movie clips which are filmed & posted are great additions--thank you MoeJoeVision! But I'm still with Dano ... if I want to sit, I usually save that for concert venues.
dano73

Post by dano73 »

Thanks guys, now I don't feel so alone!!!! Idk if you've ever been to Briggs Farm, but in my mind they have succeeded in setting the standard. The day people enter on the opposite side that the campers enter on, which makes things even nicer, ya walk right back to your rig to use the bathroom, if u want and refuel, its also a byob and they dont stop you to check anything. All they ask is no bottles, and if security {no cops} finds u with a bottle, they give u a cup and take ur bottle. No chairs up front, all sunshades and umbrellas are required to be back further, and if ya put up an umbrella near the front, they ask u to take it down or move. And how about this, all beach balls are taken by security, hey it may be all cute and fun, but Ive lost more than 1 beer getting conked by a giant beach ball, or somebody diving to get one.

That being said White Mtn is the best venue, scenery wise, its hard to beat that. Yeah mtn jam is pretty too, just not the same down home feel, and pricey, but Warren pulls the big names, and also keeps the dance floor open. But I gotta hand it to you guys, never a wait to use the porta potties, even on saturday night. And Joe, U guys are amazing, I saw the cut off resin chairs and benches, and was wishing I had my own!!! for the breaks between sets. I see Ronnie Earl was just added for next year..hmmm... that man is worth the price of admission alone, now if we could just lose the chairs. :D